View Single Post
Old August 19 2009, 04:06 PM   #37
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

motion capture and Trek

Will James Cameron's Avatar change things for Trek TV in 2012-2014? As far as motion capture being used for CGI will it become feasible for a 13-episode series to use this?
I'm not talking 3-D with the glasses I'm only talking about using motion capture on a tv show for a 100% CGI series.

Resident Evil: Degeneration MoCap 2 min. video
already did it for a CGI feature film released in 2008.

its most elaborate work in the burgeoning field has come on James Cameron's long-gestating 3D action fantasy "Avatar," already touted among genre fanboys as a movie likely to alter the public's perceptions about motion capture in particular and filmmaking in general.
Steven Spielberg had just wrapped six weeks of motion-capture work on his passion project "The Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn." Offering a toast to the production crew hired for the highly specialized shoots, the director raised a champagne glass and noted they had helped him squeeze in the most setups in the fewest days of any production in which he had been involved.
July 15, 2009
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...fc3dc3a2865694

There's a lot of talk about Avatar changing things and I'm wondering how Trek may be affected in this way. Would this technology make it actually economically possible for a 13-episode series? a 22-episode series?
If Steven Spielberg and James Cameron can use it then why not a Trek TV director?
the most setups in the fewest days of any production in which he had been involved.
Is pretty amazing for a guy like Spielberg but then again who knows how much time they will spend on lighting, atmospheric effects, and camera movement in post production...

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; August 19 2009 at 04:19 PM.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote