View Single Post
Old August 19 2009, 02:48 PM   #57
bluedana

Re: First-Timer's Impressions of Enterprise

That T'Pol - like a good christian women, secretly longing for and enjoying "sins". It's funny how in most cases "sin" is not about right or wrong but of our own desire for something we've been taught is evil or disgusting... and that desire for something which might be perfectly normal, mixed with self-disgust and repression (because it is "evil") only then actually perverts the situation into wrong.
I see where you're going with this analogy, Jimmy Bob, and (far from being a joke), I think it's a good one, with a minor revision for nuance.

T'Pol as "good Christian woman" probably should be refined to "good Christian woman on the more conservative, restrictive end of the Christian spectrum." It's not that she likes "sinning," it's that she's drawn to something that her whole being recognizes as part of her nature, something that has been unnaturally suppressed. Of course, in our world, this is sex. Many of the more restrictive portions of Christianity (and I'm speaking from experience here, not bashing) approach sex in the same way these 22nd Vulcans approached mind-melding: not ever, except in marriage, and even then, we're not going to talk about it. And so the things leading up to the possibility of opening yourself up to what's forbidden also become forbidden (certain types of music, like free-form jazz (or when I was a kid, music with drums and electric guitars), etc.). It's a theory of don't even start down that road because it leads to loss of control.

Obviously, the ship of Vulcans, Tolaris excepted, represents the idea that loosening a bit of control doesn't necessarily lead to all-out havoc. The rest of them were unoffensive. Tolaris is the poster child for why the rule exists. I don't agree that
in most cases "sin" is not about right or wrong but of our own desire for something we've been taught is evil or disgusting... and that desire for something which might be perfectly normal, mixed with self-disgust and repression (because it is "evil") only then actually perverts the situation into wrong.
rather, that one extreme creates the other. The possibility that a mind-rapist would take advantage of a completely natural curiosity proves that the complete suppression of that curiosity is necessary, at least in the minds of TVPTB (the Vulcan Powers That Be). That's why repressive rules come in to being.

Fusion and, later Stigma and the 3rd and 4th seasons (no spoilers!) really resonated with me as a religiously raised, practicing Christian, because T'Pol's whole journey is so, so familiar.