View Single Post
Old August 18 2009, 04:33 PM   #7
ElScoob
Fleet Captain

Re: The Return of Bruce Wayne Disucssion (Spoilers)

I have no speculation to offer on Bruce's (inevitable) return. All I know is that, while it is a certain a thing as death and taxes, I'm actually in no big hurry to see him back.

I know he will come back, and I do honestly want him to... but it doesn't need to be too soon. I'm enjoying Dick as Batman quite a bit at the moment.

It brings up a parallel, in my mind, to the Flash situation. Wally West became the first kid sidekick to grow up and inherit the mantle of his mentor. He was not universally accepted at first--not by the fans, nor by the characters in his stories. Over the course of the next ten years, though, he came into his own as the Flash and was more widely accepted as a worthy successor. Then after another decade or so he was pushed aside in favor of Bart Allen, and then brought back when Bart didn't pan out, and now is being pushed aside in favor of Barry.

I was as big a fan of Barry Allen as you can find, and I'm glad in some ways to see him back. But I became a big fan of Wally, too, and I hate to see his role diminished.

I suspect I'm going to feel the same way about the Batman situation--although with the difference being that Dick's not going to get ten years, let alone twenty-plus, to really carve out his niche as the successor to Batman. I know that there's no way in hell that DC would let Bruce Wayne lie fallow for ten years--especially not DC under Dan DiDio.

I'd just like to see Dick get his fair chance.

--g