View Single Post
Old August 17 2009, 10:15 AM   #396
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

Re: Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

^ Tatulli's been doing his damnedest online to let everyone know that it's released.

Oh, and if you want to see a fun modern killer croc movie, check out Rogue. I know, the cover is dumb, as is the "DIMENSION EXTREME!!!!!" label, but the wife and I had fun watching it. When you see "From the director of Wolf Creek" across the bottom, it sounds like it's going to be a little too rough, but the director knows he's making a creature feature. In fact, the "extreme" label seems a little misleading. There are certainly shots of gore, but nothing to really warrant the "extreme" or even the "unrated."

The effects for the croc go back and forth between being practical and CG. The latter is surprisingly well done. The croc has a good sense of heft, even in the way it has to drag its huge body across the ground.

Most of the acting's good, and the cinematography is beautiful. Somehow, they lucked out and got permission to film in a portion of the Australian outback that's never been filmed before. For that alone, the movie's worth a look; there are really some stunning shots.

Here's the review that convinced me to rent it. I'm glad I did. Sometimes, when I pick a horror rental that's pretty bad, I hear about it for a while from Lady Spiff. This one, she enjoyed.