View Single Post
Old August 16 2009, 09:06 PM   #8
neozeks
Captain

Re: Star Trek: Governance

Verteron wrote: View Post
Thanks neozeks. Personally I thought I'd started rambling, but there you go
When discussing fascinating topics like the socio-economic order in Trek one can never ramble.

The other interesting point to make about this option is that it doesn't require other planetary governments to be democratic. Since presumably they can send whoever they want to the Federation Council as their representatives, an indirect system would mean that on a non-democratic planet operating on a feudal system, for example (like the Klingons), they could send representatives from their High Council (if they ever joined the Federation) without having democracy 'forced' upon them. It seems more in line with the Federation's policies on inclusion.
That is certainly true. Though I would think the Federation asks for at least some measure of democracy, seeing how they value equality and individuality. Have we seen a non-democratic member of the Federation?

That's true. We've heard mention of 'transporter credits'. Perhaps for other 'top bracket' items there are still requirements, call them credits if you will, which might even be determined by prestige (of a person's job, or their achievements) and there'd be a finite number. Perhaps there'd be some form of barter exchange or the ability to save them up. Not calling it 'money' sidesteps the fact that Earth supposedly doesn't use 'money' but still limits what are otherwise, as you say, finite resources. Not everyone can have a big house in the country, after all.
By 'not using money' I guess they mean 'we don't ordinarily need money in our everyday lives'. So for many people - ones that are satisfied with their basic, 'free' possesions, or crews onboard Starfleet ships where you're provided with everything anyway - money or credits is an exotic, rather unfamiliar concept, which they use only rarely.
neozeks is offline   Reply With Quote