View Single Post
Old August 16 2009, 10:48 AM   #808
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Re: USS Grandeur - One... More... Time!

Psion wrote: View Post
Vektor wrote: View Post
Psion wrote: View Post
I think the point behind the visible lifeboat hatches was to have justifiable detail on the hull. No one wants Star Wars-style nurnies all over a Starfleet ship, but there's an instinctive need in SFX people to give us little details for scale reference and to break up smooth surfaces. So in later Trek productions, there's a search for excuses for details ... escape pod hatches, phaser emitters, photon torpedo launchers. Sensor palettes, tractor emitters, transporter arrays -- until eventually we get ships like the 1701-E and 2009 Enterprise that are practically covered with nurnies.
Undoubtedly true, although I would dispute the last point. The new Enterprise from Trek 09 was relatively sleek and uncluttered, compared to the Sovereign class and most other late 23rd century designs anyway.
Sorry, Vektor -- and with the greatest respect, but the latest Enterprise is the most cluttered design yet. I've got the toy right here in front of me, and the junk all over the nacelles (especially on the cowling) is staggering. Much more so than the refit, and even more than 1701-E. And while the primary and secondary hulls aren't as cluttered, they still have more than 1701-A. Maybe even the D.

I guess the worst offender was the NX-01, but I'll forgive them that since a cluttered look suited a more primitive vessel.
You can hardly compare a toy to the movie's CG-model.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote