View Single Post
Old August 15 2009, 07:57 AM   #10
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Nero: "It happened! I saw it happen..."

Green Shirt wrote: View Post
foxmulder710 wrote: View Post
"...I watched it happen! Don't tell me it didn't happen!"

The overuse of the word "happen" in this sequence of dialogue makes me laugh like nothing else.
My 15 year old son made the same comment to me on our 3rd viewing. He even added the line "Don't tell me how many times I happened to say happen" to Nero's rant. He also got a laugh out of Nero's repeated cry of "Spock!!!, Spock!!!" when Spock escaped with the jellyfish.

I also thought the "emotionally compromised" idea being repeated by both Spocks was strange. Even though they were both discussing the regulation about command fitness, the exact duplication of wording seemed awkward.
There was actually quite a bit of mirroring going on throughout the movie, both in dialogue and in visuals (think how many times you saw Kirk clinging by his fingertips to the edge of a precipitous drop, to name one example.) I strongly suspect that the repetitions of "happen" and "that's weird" and "emotionally compromised" were deliberate devices to emphasize or connect story elements (though I think not, as the OP suggests, that this was because any part of the audience was thought to be slow and stupid.)
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote