View Single Post
Old August 15 2009, 06:18 AM   #23
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher
Re: District 9 - Review, Discuss, Commentary ***SPOILERS*** possible

Great flick. It has so much kinetic energy that just drives throughout the entire film. I don't think I was ever bored once or looking at my watch. At times when I thought the movie was going down a cliché stereotypical route, it completely surprised me. Major props for making Wikus not a Prawn lover at first but a guy with some xenophobia and also props to co-writer/director Neill Blomkamp for making the Prawns themselves not misguided, cuddly aliens but somewhat of a force to be dealt with.

Technically, as has been said before, it's amazing this was produced for a relatively small amount (at least in Hollywood terms) at $30 million. Everything looked so authentic and tangible. The Prawns were a real discovery. Never once did I think they were CGI. That was impressive. A Best Visual Effects Oscar nomination should be a shoe-in at this point.

However, what I really loved about this film was how it took a subject, like an alien invasion, something we've all seen before, and made a message movie without coming off as contrived or preachy. It was extremely affecting, but all in the guise of a really fun summer blockbuster. In fact, this was the perfect cap to the blockbuster summer 2009 movie season. Screw G.I. Joe. In a summer of mostly dissappintments, District 9 is a shining example that you don't need big budgets, huge Hollywood stars or an established connection to a franchise or series to make a thrilling, original, captivating and genuinely moving film.

We need more films like these.