View Single Post
Old August 13 2009, 07:58 AM   #9
EmperorKalan
Commander

Re: Romulan questions

Christopher wrote: View Post
Jbarney wrote: View Post
This has me curious, I just read the Alien Spotlight story, a couple of days ago. I wasn't sure if it was a story that goes into late 2265 or sometime in 2266. I haven't read the Byrne story yet, but does something specfically place it in 2266?
It's a direct prequel to "Balance of Terror," showing how and why the Commander was sent on the mission depicted in that episode. Therefore it must take place very soon before BoT, only as much time as it takes to travel from Romulus to the Neutral Zone.

And I'm confused. The Alien Spotlight Romulan story is the Byrne story. So how can you have just read it and not read it yet?
My guess would be that "the Byrne story" referenced above is The Hollow Crown.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Memory Beta says:
Vrax being Praetor in 2265 may indicate that he is the Praetor who was assassinated by his son, who subsequently took the praetorship, as described in Alien Spotlight: Romulans, set in 2266.
I wrote that line, my calculations working out pretty much as yours did.

Byrne's main divergence from other treatments of the Romulans is in portraying the praetorship as a hereditary office with near-absolute power. Vulcan's Heart and other Sherman & Schwartz stories had the Praetor as a sort of Shogun, commanding the military and ruling the empire in the name of a hereditary emperor. Most of the praetorial successions we know of were not hereditary. It's been too long since I've read any of the Rihannsu books that I don't feel confident to comment on anything they said about this.

On the other hand, despite Byrne's different take on the structure, it's still not actually incompatible with other versions. For instance, if one assumed S&S's version of the Romulan government structure, given controversial nature of some of the brewing policies (relations with the Klingons, starting a new war with the Federation), factions of the Senate supporting those policies might easily support making Young Smirky praetor following Vrax's death as a manipulable buffer and if need be scapegoat. That's a bit more complex than Byrne's depiction, but greater "stretching" has been known to happen.
main drive is gone...
turret number one not responding...
Mayday...
losing cabin pressure fast...
calling anyone...
please help...
EmperorKalan is offline   Reply With Quote