View Single Post
Old August 7 2009, 11:16 PM   #79
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile
Re: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Grading & Discussion

Above average.

Saw the movie today, noon Twin Cities time, & loved it. Growing up watching the cartoon & getting what figures I could I have always been a big fan & after hearing that the movie was not screened for critics I was worried since that usually means the movie's gonna suck. Thank the Baroness it didn't.

Great action & effects. The acting won't garner any Oscars® but I didn't think it was that bad. Loved the scenes that went back in time to tell some of the main characters back story, was kind of surprised when Cobra Commander was actually Rex. I always liked the mysteriousness of the character’s true background & found him exceptionally creepy here. He wasn’t the fool the cartoon often made him out to be. Liked Marlon Wayans was great in this movie I thought, just the right amount of funny stuff to make the movie a bit lighter & Channing Tatum was great as Duke. I’d never heard of him until this movie, but thought he & Marlon played well off each other. As mentioned elsewhere Siena Miller and especially Rachel Nichols (love redheads) smokin’ hot & their fight scene was nothing I’d want to be in the middle of. Sadly Dennis Quaid didn't have more to do, as one can tell from my avatar I’m a fan. Maybe he’ll get more to do in the sequel because they did leave the movie wide open for one (pleas do well @ the box office).

The fighting between Snake & Storm was intense, the main event of the movie. The costume for Snake couldn’t have been comfortable at all & was it me or was he on the receiving end of a double-bladed weapon. I’m looking forward to seeing (actually seeing Ray Park) in Heroes. Storm could return in a second film, falling into the icy water could save his life for a plotline.

I actually liked the cameo Brendan Fraser made, maybe setting himself up for the sequel. The way Destro received his look was better than the mask Commander ended up with at the end, I kind of always liked how commander’s was always hidden. I would have liked to see a bit more of Heavy Duty or some other characters but I guess that will have to wait for the next one.

All in all a lot better than I thought it would be & I may see it again.