View Single Post
Old August 6 2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Creating a 'TNG Relaunch' collection

CaseyF wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Aspects of The Q Continuum trilogy are difficult or impossible to reconcile with some other novels, and "Genesis Wave book three" can't be reconciled with the mainstream (the first two and Genesis Force are mostly fine).
Nasat, I haven't read any of those books yet, but I'm curious what aspects of the Q trilogy and Genesis Wave book three are inconsistent with other novels. Thanks!
Well, keeping in mind it's a long time since I read them, so I can't give an extensive list ...

"Genesis Wave book three" has quite a few, the most glaring probably being Alyssa Ogawa's child (a girl here, a boy elsewhere), and former Kai Opaka being considered dead (DS9 relaunch makes this impossible).

The Q Continuum's depiction of Q's history and the galactic barrier's purpose are somewhat incompatible with other depictions (though nowhere near as straightly contradictory as GWIII). To be honest, it's not too glaring, but even though QandA briefly alluded to these books- along with all other Q stories - it's revelations concerning Q's relationship to Earth and humanity are not easily compatable. Of course, this is Q we're talking about, a manipulative omnipotent being, so there's a lot more room to wriggle round these continuity obstacles than usual, but I prefer to discard these books from my personal continuity (a shame, as I quite enjoyed them). You should probably choose for yourself, of course. They're worth reading, at least.