View Single Post
Old August 3 2009, 01:33 AM   #40
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: DC Comics' Star Tek (1st Series)

GHS wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
It's ironic these classic comics should come up now. Over the weekend, I was going through some old folders on my hard drive, and there was an outline for an SCE story with Nancy Bryce and Liz Sherwood that I worked on for a long time. The outline is horrifically long -- even in its unfinished state, it's thirty pages -- but it was very much a labor of love, and certainly a valentine, to these characters who so were formative in my Star Trek experience.
So Pocket writers are free to use characters created for comics or games by other companies with the Trek license?
Technically, since it's all owned by Paramount, then yes, characters can be used. In this particular case, I asked Bob Greenberger if he had any objections if I used Nancy Bryce and Liz Sherwood for this story. As long as I didn't do anything to them that annoyed Peter David, he said, we'd be golden.

It had some other comic book characters, too, like Grand Admiral Steven Turner and Vice Admiral Rittenhouse. Lyndra Dean, the reporter from The Mirror Universe Saga plays a key role. And Kaaj, from the Star Trek: Early Voyages comic was one of the story's key characters.

Just out of curiosity, any chance your outline could be reworked for a short story or novel, or do you think the plot is doomed never to see the light of day?
I don't think it will ever see the light of day. It's so engrained in one particular moment of Star Trek history that it wouldn't work elsewhere, with other characters. And there's no market for it now. Its time has passed.

All I will say about it is that it made the engineering in Ring Around the Sky look small. We're talking starships on unpowered ballistic trajectories, suited engineers with magnaboots attached to hulls with jerry-rigged harpoon guns, and Starfleet's wildest towing job.

It's possible that the backstory I created for Liz Sherwood, to reconcile her FYM appearance in Gemini with her movie-era appearance in the comics, may turn up in something else that's not Star Trek-related, because it was a neat idea. Dark, but also neat.

Last edited by Allyn Gibson; August 3 2009 at 01:48 AM.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote