View Single Post
Old August 2 2009, 03:44 AM   #52
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman and Batman to join forces with Islamic superheroes

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I've no idea who or what "Magdalena" is. If it's from Image I most likely ignored it. That company set comics back a decade.
Top Cow, actually, and one of their more popular second-string characters.
I'll take your word for it. Top Cop to me it just Image lite.

I've seen such list before. They tend to rely on guess work. "He's Italian? he must be Catholic" type logic.
Each character has an article that explains the documentation.
Referencing stories that "re-engineered" their religious affiliation for the most part, by people who did not create the characters. Though how many of these characters were motivated by their Christianity? Or is it just a bit of window dressing to add the illusion of depth?

Not what we're talking about...we're talking about re-engineering EXISTING characters, not replacements with the same name.
All those characters are "re-engineered". The Silver Age was all bout "re-engineering." Any character created before 1986 probably was "re-engineered" when it came to religion, because such thing wer not part of the characters in the 40s, 50s or even the 60s. Dave Cockrum and Len Wein had no idea Nightcrawler was a Catholic. The idea that Magneto was a Jew never crossed Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's minds.
We aren't talking about re-jiggering details about the planet Krypton, or minutiae like that. We are talking about fundamental aspects of the identity of the character.
I dunno, making Kurt Wagner a Catholic sounds pretty major. Making him a priest even more so. Magneto's affection for neo Nazi uniforms and extreme views on "race" makes him an odd candidate for Holocaust survivor.

Now making Bruce Wayne gay might be a stretch (the whole playboy thing) but it would not change who Batman is. He would not be any less a detective or martial artist if this happened.

Out of curiousity how many comicbook characters have had their race or sexuality "re-engineered"?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote