View Single Post
Old August 2 2009, 03:19 AM   #51
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Re: Superman and Batman to join forces with Islamic superheroes

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
I've no idea who or what "Magdalena" is. If it's from Image I most likely ignored it. That company set comics back a decade.
Top Cow, actually, and one of their more popular second-string characters.

I've seen such list before. They tend to rely on guess work. "He's Italian? he must be Catholic" type logic.
Each character has an article that explains the documentation.

Do you object to John Stewert as Green Lantern or Michael Holt as Mister Terrific? Would a black Superman or a Gay Bruce Wayne be any different than a Brunette "Green Lantern" replacing a Blond "Green Lantern" or a 6 foot "Atom" replacing a 5 foot "Atom'? How about an Alien "Hawkman" replacing a human one?
Not what we're talking about...we're talking about re-engineering EXISTING characters, not replacements with the same name.
All those characters are "re-engineered". The Silver Age was all bout "re-engineering." Any character created before 1986 probably was "re-engineered" when it came to religion, because such thing wer not part of the characters in the 40s, 50s or even the 60s. Dave Cockrum and Len Wein had no idea Nightcrawler was a Catholic. The idea that Magneto was a Jew never crossed Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's minds.
We aren't talking about re-jiggering details about the planet Krypton, or minutiae like that. We are talking about fundamental aspects of the identity of the character.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote