View Single Post
Old August 1 2009, 02:58 PM   #2284
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Muse (*)

Prime Directive be damned, somebody needs to send these aliens the complete works of William Shakespeare. Actually, I'm not such a fan of Shakespeare because I have trouble understanding Old English, so send them the scripts for the Sorkin years of The West Wing. Anything, would be more interesting than the plays they have currently.

The episode started out intriguingly, B'Elanna need's a local playwrights help in order to fix her ship so she helps him to write a play about her. For the first 15 minutes or so I was entertained by the possibilities of what might happen, but then the episode drags on. And on. And on. Then you look at your watch and realise there's another 15 minutes left in an episode where nothing seems to be happening. When your ace in the hole is that Harry Kim shows up then you're in real trouble.

The ending also suffers due to the fact that it is based around a really boring play with intentionally stilted dialogue and acting. The play doesn't make any sense and it makes even less sense when B'Elanna shows up and says goodbye to Kelis on-stage. You also have some stuff thrown in about an angry patron and a war, but that never seems to go anywhere.

Minus half a star because this could easily have been a TNG episode.

KELIS: That's exactly the problem, where is the mistaken identity, the discovery, the sudden reversal? Mistaken identity, a character who is someone else. Discovery, the moment when that identity is revealed. Reversal, a situation that turns from good to bad in a blink of an eye.
OLD MAN: Find the truth of your story and you won't need all those tricks. I don't know how things are done across the Eastern Sea, but here poets have become lazy, they rely on manipulation to move their audience. It wasn't always that way.
Wow, it's like a subtle little dig at Ron Moore.