View Single Post
Old August 1 2009, 07:21 AM   #27
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: The Terminator Chronicles: Second Chance

I've begun work on the next chapter and I'll probably be posting on Saturday evening, Sunday morning.

kes7 wrote: View Post
You're doing a good job with the characters, Kyle's intensity and John's propensity to live in his head and hold things close to his chest, particularly.

I like Allison, and she's a great reminder of what Cameron really is or was ... they're so different.

Thanks again for continuing this story!

PS Wow, 25,000 posts -- that's a whole lot of posting!
One of the things that always struck me about Summer Glau was she always plays characters that are a bit too guarded and quiet. I was reading recently an interview with Joss Whedon where he was talking about Summer joining Dollhouse and how he wanted her to play a chatty character. When I rewatched the scenes of Allison's interrogation from Allison from Palmdale I thought about it and Allison really is a lot like the opposite of Cameron. She's really interesting to write for and this is the second time I've got to write for her. She's more fun now because the Series Finale gave me a lot of material to work with.

The hardest character to write for though is Derek Reese, but it's not the character that gives me trouble. Derek is a typical soldier at first, but he has more layers to him than just that. He's technophobic, cynical, blunt, sarcastic, ruthless, and at times; borderline psychotic. What scares me is everytime I write the character I don't hear the character; I actually hear my older brother. They're the same person in many respects; both soldiers, both hate technology, it's hard to write for him at times because it reminds me of him so much (my brother is on his third tour of duty in Iraq). I don't plan to use Derek all that much, sorry to his fans, because of this and because I wrote for him very often in Terminator: Survival Instinct.

As for 25,000 posts. It amazes me too. That's even with a two year break from the BBS where I didn't post a thing.

The Badger wrote: View Post
An excellent continuation. Like Kes7 says, it provides a neat contrast between Alison and Cameron.

The sequence where John played shooting back at the little girl could have worked badly, as a lazy copy of a scene from the first movie. In practice though it served as a reminder of the similarities between John and his father.

Keep it up!
That was one of the harder scenes to write and, honestly, I went back to it about half a dozen times to rework little pieces of it. I almost didn't even write it in because I didn't want it to be a carbon copy of the scene, but I realized just how much potential it had. In The Terminator Kyle did it and probably didn't think about what he was doing; for John there's more to it. He knew about the machines and he wasn't able to stop them. This will be touched upon again once or twice. One thing about when I write you never know what little things could end up being incredibly important to the story.

Last edited by nx1701g; August 1 2009 at 07:37 AM.
nx1701g is offline   Reply With Quote