View Single Post
Old August 1 2009, 04:32 AM   #34
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Superman and Batman to join forces with Islamic superheroes

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Nerys Myk wrote: View Post

And I stand by that. Ethnic heroes already exist (John Stewart, Blade, Storm, Forge, Bishop, Luke Cage, Shang Chi, Misty Knight, et al). You don't need to radically alter existing heroes to suit some PC notion of "representation".

I have no problem with Muslem/Arab heroes. Several already exist in the MU. My initial impression of THIS project was that it was a Captain Planet style polemic "puff piece".

I would like to see an honest and unflinching look at the implications of such characters.

One example of a story involving an Arab ethnic hero that I thought was particularly well told was the confrontation between Sabra and Batal (the Syrian Super Soldier) in New Warriors 58-59.

On the flip side, Heaven's Fist (a terrorist team) appeared in the pages of Stormwatch back in the late 90s. Again, an unflinching look at what a combination of superpowers and dangerously radical beleif is capable of.

Stormwatch, by the way, had all MANNER of ethnic characters in it's ranks, INCLUDING Muslems (Damascus, for example).
Muslem??? Is that on purpose?

Why an "unflinching look"? Would you want an unfliching look at a "combination of superpowers and dangerously radical beleif" if said "beleif" was a radical form of Christianity?
Been done.
Has it? Refresh my memory. Though IIRC, bad "Muslims" with Superpowers has been done too. I think the Suicide Squad fought such a team in the 80s.

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
Ethnic heroes already exist (John Stewart, Blade, Storm, Forge, Bishop, Luke Cage, Shang Chi, Misty Knight, et al). You don't need to radically alter existing heroes to suit some PC notion of "representation".
So you don't want "white" heroes interacting with other heroes?? WTF are you saying here?
This is actually a continuation of a debate from another thread, and a bit OT for this one.. Galactus maintains that it is perfectly acceptable to redefine existing characters "to suit modern tastes" by changing things like their race, gender, sexual preference, et al for no other reason than to increase "minority representation" in comics. That is to say, for example: Superman depicted as a black man, or Bruce Wayne as a homosexual, when they have NEVER been so depicted.

I maintain that (for example) if you want a black, lesbian atheist character then you should go create a new character to be one. Don't take the Scarlet Witch and make HER a black lesbian atheist just so there is one represented.

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
So you don't want "white" heroes interacting with other heroes?? WTF are you saying here?
He's saying, we got enough of those heroes and dont make any white heroes black.

Not sure what that has to do with this topic.
See above...

At any rate, this is OT for this thread...moving on...
Still not seeing the connection. None of the 99 are old heroes with minority faces.

Do you object to John Stewert as Green Lantern or Michael Holt as Mister Terrific? Would a black Superman or a Gay Bruce Wayne be any different than a Brunette "Green Lantern" replacing a Blond "Green Lantern" or a 6 foot "Atom" replacing a 5 foot "Atom'? How about an Alien "Hawkman" replacing a human one?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.

Last edited by Nerys Myk; August 1 2009 at 04:42 AM.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote