View Single Post
Old July 31 2009, 11:20 PM   #230
JB2005
Commodore

Re: The Typhon Pact

Sci wrote: View Post
JB2005 wrote: View Post
ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post

Personally, I think the Axis powers lost any right to claim they were justified or even excused in their actions when they began to conquer other nations.
Did every other person from a former major european power get abit uncomfortable when you read that?

Britan, France, Spain, Russia, Portugal et al...

Hell the good old US of A is built on the Native American's land isn't it?

It is important to note that most of the major European countries, and the United States, have a history of violent conquest and subjugation.

It's also important to remember that that trend was winding down in the post-World War I era; people were starting to really see that that was wrong and unsustainable. And as such, it's also important to remember that Hitler, Mussolini, and the Japanese were not only being immoral by seeking to conquer the world, but were also showing that they were behind the times as the world's liberal democracies began to realize that imperialism is evil.
To be fair though, that could be interpreted as blaming the Axis powers for simply being late to the party as it were.

It's also important to recognize that the Axis powers were pretty unique in their desire to quite literally conquer the planet and divide it between the three of then.
Very true, every other empire would have wanted the entire world for itself...

I'm not defending the Axis powers or anything, and I'm certainly not trying to sweep under the rug our past sins. But just because it was seen as unacceptable to people in countries that had already built empires, is hardly going to sound reasonable.

And as for us being a liberal democracy, I don't know about the States, but when world war 2 broke out the UK had had universal suffrage for 2 decades. We'd also spent the inter-war period wielding the Leauge of Nations whenever anyone threatened Britain's interests.

Just my confused ramblings