View Single Post
Old July 30 2009, 11:56 PM   #9
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: Superman and Batman to join forces with Islamic superheroes

darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
darkwing_duck1 wrote: View Post
I wonder who twisted what arms to get this done...

This is hardly something new. There have been Islamic/Arab characters in comics before.

This just smacks of PC PR.
Doubtful. It's just a product made for people who don't feel the same way you do. There's nothing wrong with that, is there?
There may be, there may NOT be. The timing and the hoopla seem a bit fishy to me. A lot will depend on how it's written I suppose. Will these "good Muslem heroes" be shown cleaning house on Talibans and Al-Qs or will this be a "learning experince" puff job where the "westerners" learn that "everthing they (think) they know about Muslems is wrong"?
For 46 years, we've had the X-Men build a franchise out of fighting villains who are racial extremists who aren't that different than the KKK. The X-Men are also international in both content and appeal. If it works for them, how about focusing on some other issues of tolerance and community?

Additionally, and I hope I'm not painting too broad a stroke, but most comic readers are teens or early 20s and aren't normally used to such discourse anyway. Go to any comic book message board and just cringe at the sheer number of racial or homophobic slurs being passed around that shows that we've got a long way to go.