Thread: The Typhon Pact
View Single Post
Old July 30 2009, 10:34 PM   #215
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: The Typhon Pact

How would you react if you saw that in Russian Presidential elections, President Medvedev were running on a platform of, "We don't know if the Americans are going to declare war on us for our oil, but shouldn't we build up our military and our nuclear arsenal enough that we can defeat them?"

If you're like most people, you would take it as an implicit threat to the national security of the United States.

So it is with the Typhon Pact. The Federation needs to present itself as being open to peace and diplomacy, not assuage its inner machismo by making undiplomatic messages of its ability to defeat the galaxy.
For the second time, "Be as strong as the bear" does NOT mean "build up our military and our nuclear arsenal enough that we can defeat them".

"As strong as" is for the purpose of maintaining the balance of power. "Stonger than" is for the purpose of "building up our military and our nuclear arsenal enough that we can defeat them".

You're the one who brought up Reagan, not me.
So I was. But if you study my previous post, I think you'll find that the reference wasn't quite so political. After all, the description of the bear in the ad, I think, fits the Pact quite nicely. To paraphrase: "For some, the bear is easy to see. Others don't see it at all. For some, the bear is tame. For other's it's wild. But no one can be certain who's right."

You take relativism to previously unseen peaks, Sci.
Try multiculturalism, brother.... Nice call.

You clearly haven't been reading enough, then; I am considerably less relativistic than many, many political philosophers and critics who are actually in any way prominent.
A lower peak doesn't neccessarily mean an unseen peak, Sci.

Just being philosophical....

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote