Thread: The Typhon Pact
View Single Post
Old July 30 2009, 03:12 PM   #202
Supreme Dittodrone
Vice Admiral

Re: The Typhon Pact

Ummm. You do remember that Bacco was elected on a pro-peace, pro-diplomacy, anti-belligerence, let's-not-run-around-telling-everyone-that-we're-ready-to-go-to-war-with-them platform, right?

That's the sort of campaign ad that Arafel Pagro would run, not Nan Bacco.
If you want to get technical, Pagro struck me as more of a semi-isolationist, Ron-Paul-ish, "We-should-not-ally-ouselves-with-any-authoratarian-governments" type.

And I am not a supporter of Ron Paul.

As for the ad, its actual words said, "for some, the bear is tame, for others, it's dangerous."

To drag that out in the public sphere does not actually increase Federation security, though. Foreign states would be observing that kind of campaign rhetoric, and it would register with them. They would take it as a message of hostility and belligerence. To make the, "Let's get ready to kick everyone's ass just in case" notion a central part of your political platform is to, in essence, declare to the galaxy that you are untrustworthy, suspicious of others, and unwilling to trust others, and are therefore an unreliable potential ally.
The ad does not say "Let's get ready to kick everyone's ass just in case". It says, "since no one can know for sure who's right, doesn't it make sense to be as strong as (not stronger than) the bear?"

If the Typhon Pact takes such a statement as a notion that the UFP is "untrustworthy, suspicious of others, and unwilling to trust others, and therefore an unreliable potential ally", rather than simply "a force we can't bully around which me must therefore take seriously", than frankly, it's they who are engaging in fear-culling and warmongering.

Reagan is just lucky that Gorbachev was the guy who came to power in the Soviet Union in '85, leading to the liberalization policies that weakened Soviet unity and promoted the previously-suppressed nationalist sentiments that brought down the USSR.
You still persist in trying to provoke me, Mr. Bond....

I could easily refute that...but it would take this thread too far off topic.

God knows what would have happened if a less liberal, more hot-headed asshat had taken the Kremlin.
"Hot-headed", eh? War would have been his fault, then...assuming war broke out.

"Forget it, Jake...it's Chinatown."
Supreme Dittodrone is offline   Reply With Quote