View Single Post
Old July 22 2009, 06:34 PM   #37
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

Re: Ben Sisko’s hair

Odo's_Bucket wrote: View Post
DiSiLLUSiON wrote: View Post
Odo's_Bucket wrote: View Post
It's been said, referred to, implied, admitted, alluded to and outright blatantly spoken, several times that Starfleet is military.
I don't agree. However, even it Starfleet were military, the military usually lets haircuts be as you like, unless it impacts performance. Not every country expects their military officers to have short cut or shaven scalps.
Not true. The military has strict regulations regarding the style and wear of ones hair. It's part of the UCMJ.
In the US perhaps. As I said, not every country expects their military officers to have short cut or shaven scalps; these rules differ between different militaries. And I doubt Starfleet, if it were a military, would be founded solely on the rules and regulations of the US military.

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
DiSiLLUSiON wrote: View Post

Usually only in military organizations, which Starfleet is not.
That's the first time I've ever heard that. How can Starfleet not be military when it has such things as ranks, courts martials and enlisted personnel?
Beyond those things, there are also lots of aspects of military service you won't find in Starfleet. That's why that debate has been going on for ages.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote