View Single Post
Old July 21 2009, 02:39 PM   #2205
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

teya wrote: View Post
Perhaps you now understand why I hate "Tattoo" so much, particularly when it comes to historical blindness...

At least "Fair Haven" was a holodeck program. "Tattoo" made me not fully human.

And you gave that drivel 2-1/2 stars.
The sad truth is that I don't know much about native Americans so I didn't feel I was in a position to judge if that episode was racist or not. But I can certainly understand why why people would find that episode so insulting, I just didn't want to make a stand on a subject I barely understand.

On the subject, I read this on Wikipedia yesterday about the Irish potato famine:

In 1847, midway through the Great Irish Famine, a group of American Indian Choctaws collected $710 and sent it to help starving Irish men, women and children. "It had been just 16 years since the Choctaw people had experienced the Trail of Tears, and they had faced starvation... It was an amazing gesture. By today's standards, it might be a million dollars." according to Judy Allen, editor of the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma's newspaper, Bishinik.

Now that's a truly meaningful gesture. If only the fabulously wealthy Queen Victoria had been so kind...

In 1845, Ottoman Sultan Abdülmecid declared his intention to send 10,000 sterling to Irish farmers but Queen Victoria requested that the Sultan send only 1,000 sterling, because she had sent only 2,000 sterling. The Sultan sent the 1,000 sterling but also secretly sent 3 ships full of food. The English courts tried to block the ships, but the food arrived at Drogheda harbour and was left there by Ottoman sailors.

Now you know why I dislike the British monarchy.

Furtados_Feet wrote: View Post
Did you ever think that maybe Tom wanted to create a stereotypical, paradise view of Ireland? Do you think he wanted to be freedom fighting with the Irish or relaxing in a nice country town?
Then don't call it authentic. I would say that they shouldn't have based it during such a depressing time, but I guess Irish history is mostly depressing up until the 1990s.

Blink of an Eye (****)

This is easily one of the best sci-fi plot based episodes of the series, the concept is cool and the episode manages to back it up for the most part. And even though the story takes place across several days and a few centuries at the same time, the whole thing manages to be seamless.

Two problems hold it back a little, the biggest problem is the use of Shmully. He lived three years on that planet with a partner and child, yet when Voyager beams him back up he doesn't seem to care about the family he was leaving behind? That should be a life-changing experience for Shmully but instead he is pleased to return to Voyager and take up his old job. And just like O'Brien's experience in Hard Time, this second life is never mentioned again.

The other problem is that this species will probably be super-advanced by the end of the week, yet we never hear from them again? It's the embodiment of episodic story-telling.