View Single Post
Old July 20 2009, 03:43 AM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek Newspaper Comic Strips

Ooh, the quality of the art in the US comic strip plummets hugely after story 13. Stories 14 through 16 look like amateur stuff, simply dreadful, and 17 is variable. It gets better in the last few stories, but never returns to the quality of the Warkentin or Harris art.

Interesting how the last few stories seem to be trying to fill in the pre-TWOK period, with Kirk as an admiral and Spock technically being captain of the Enterprise, with Kirk getting assigned back to it temporarily for a special mission (though he stays on afterward for no evident reason until eventually he's grounded again). In the last 2 or 3 stories, I kind of get the sense that they knew the end was near, since I didn't see any way they could continue on indefinitely from the way they were going.

Overall, though, a fascinating bit of lost Trek history. I really enjoyed getting to read more TMP-era stories, and particularly getting a look at the TMP-look Enterprise and its multispecies crew in action.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote