Thread: The Typhon Pact
View Single Post
Old July 19 2009, 05:49 PM   #93
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: The Typhon Pact

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
indeed, "The Good That Men Do" appears to promise the 25th century will be a time of great prosperity and peace
In what way? Just because Jake and Nog are still alive, and Section 31 is not? It didn't mention anything about the Federation, did it?

If anything, the formation of the Pact demonstrates why the Federation's core beliefs on the subject of peaceful co-operation are so successful. I don't see how the strengths are being overlooked in favour of the flaws.
You have been reading this whole thread, haven't you?

As I said in another thread: Death, darkness and gloom all sell. How else do you explain how popular nuBSG was? I wouldn't want Trek to be like that, would you? And aren't you aware of all of the "fall of the Federation" TV series ideas that have been bandied about?

It was formed because the members have finally realized the benefits of working together and see an opportunity to increase their influence.
Their influence *against the Federation*. How can the Pact succeed without the Federation failing? The two are, and presumably always will be, at odds, because that's why the Pact was created in the first place.

rahullak wrote: View Post
^@LaserBeam
Call me hopeless, but I remember a line from Batman Begins:

"Why do we fall Bruce?"
"So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."
I would prefer that the Federation not "fall" at all. It hasn't yet. But the road that the novels are on, doesn't look particularly happy.
The road towards a far more unified galaxy, where no nation or race stands alone but co-operates with its neighbours, and where political rivalry and jostling for influence in this manner are seen far more often than armed conflict? My view of the road the novels are on is that we are seeing, quite possibly, the first sparks of what might become (eventually) a true galactic alliance. I stand by my view that Trek literature is as hopeful and optimistic as ever. Yes, the Federation took a beating, but it'll rebuild and reaffirm itself.

I'm suddenly reminded of a quote from "Babylon Five".

G'Kar: "We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much, and the best of us is washed away".

I see the current state of the Trek universe as perhaps acknowledging the first part of that comment. The destruction and death suffered during the Borg invasion and aftermath might encourage the growth- might be encouraging the growth- of something great. You see it more in terms of the latter half of the comment, I think. Why? We've already seen positive outcomes rising from the ashes of the Borg invasion: the more interconnected Trek universe.