Thread: The Typhon Pact
View Single Post
Old July 19 2009, 05:39 PM   #91
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Typhon Pact

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
indeed, "The Good That Men Do" appears to promise the 25th century will be a time of great prosperity and peace
In what way? Just because Jake and Nog are still alive, and Section 31 is not? It didn't mention anything about the Federation, did it?

If anything, the formation of the Pact demonstrates why the Federation's core beliefs on the subject of peaceful co-operation are so successful. I don't see how the strengths are being overlooked in favour of the flaws.
You have been reading this whole thread, haven't you? It's been all about "The Federation sucks, here's why we think so, and it's why the Typhon Pact must be formed to resist teh evil".

The Federation won't fall for the simple reason that if the Federation fell fans would leave in droves. Those writers no doubt think highly of the Federation, or they presumably wouldn't even be writing Trek.
As I said in another thread: Death, darkness and gloom all sell. How else do you explain how popular nuBSG was? I wouldn't want Trek to be like that, would you? And aren't you aware of all of the "fall of the Federation" TV series ideas that have been bandied about?

It was formed because the members have finally realized the benefits of working together and see an opportunity to increase their influence.
Their influence *against the Federation*. How can the Pact succeed without the Federation failing? The two are, and presumably always will be, at odds, because that's why the Pact was created in the first place.

rahullak wrote: View Post
^@LaserBeam
Call me hopeless, but I remember a line from Batman Begins:

"Why do we fall Bruce?"
"So that we can learn to pick ourselves up."
I would prefer that the Federation not "fall" at all. It hasn't yet. But the road that the novels are on, doesn't look particularly happy. You want to talk quotes from Batman Begins? Well, what about this one? That's what the books are doing to the Federation:

Gotham's time has come. Like Constantinople or Rome before it the city has become a breeding ground for suffering and injustice. It is beyond saving and must be allowed to die. This is the most important function of the League of Shadows. It is one we've performed for centuries. Gotham... must be destroyed.