Thread: The Typhon Pact
View Single Post
Old July 19 2009, 05:30 PM   #89
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: The Typhon Pact

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
Star Trek is pro-Federation, always. More recent Trek literature simply explores some of the flaws of the Federation way alongside its many benefits, and shows how it copes when its formally "perfect" standard of living can no longer be a reality.
There seems to be too much attention to the flaws, and not enough to the strengths. Most of this thread has been about trying to justify the existence of the Typhon Pact (and, therefore, the fall of the Federation). Is there no more role left for the Federation to play? Was Destiny the beginning of the end? I would certainly hope not. .
I'm not following. The formation of the Typhon Pact doesn't signify the fall of the Federation. It simply gives the Federation a rival/counterpart. There is room for two major interplanetary alliances in Trek. This is the beginning of a new era for the Federation, a more complex, more difficult era but it's not the end (indeed, "The Good That Men Do" appears to promise the 25th century will be a time of great prosperity and peace). If anything, the formation of the Pact demonstrates why the Federation's core beliefs on the subject of peaceful co-operation are so successful. I don't see how the strengths are being overlooked in favour of the flaws.

I'd argue that showing the Federation struggling through the post-Destiny era but succeeding in remaining what it is, Typhon Pact rivalries and stingy Alpha Centaurian governors and refugee crises be damned, is the most hopeful and Federation-affirming direction we could go in.
But we're not there yet. If those "stingy governors" and refugee crises are all we will ever hear about regarding the Federation, then what else are we supposed to think? The writers seem to think that the Federation is too good and therefore are setting it up for a fall.
You're the one who just said "we're not there yet" . The Federation won't fall for the simple reason that if the Federation fell fans would leave in droves. Those writers no doubt think highly of the Federation, or they presumably wouldn't even be writing Trek. As I said, ultimately the current stories reaffirm the Federation's core ideals, not detract from them.

Anyway, even Tezrene upfront admitted the Typhon Pact was inspired by the Federation
But the pact was formed specifically to be an antagonist to the Federation, so I don't really see the point. "You inspired us so much that we're going to use your methods to take you down"?
No, it wasn't formed specifically to antagonise the Federation. It was formed because the members have finally realized the benefits of working together and see an opportunity to increase their influence. Rivalry with the Federation is an outcome, not a motivation (well, unless you're a member of the dominant bloc within the Ruling Conclave of the Tholian Assembly).