Thread: V
View Single Post
Old July 16 2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Re: V

^That's right -- in the original miniseries, the Visitors were at war with another race, and the climax of the miniseries was the humans sending a signal to that other race and hoping they would prove to be allies. It's a thread that was completely dropped in the sequel miniseries and weekly series, which were made without the involvement of V creator Kenneth Johnson. I believe Johnson revived the concept in his recent sequel novel, which ignores everything after the initial miniseries.

But we definitely did see alien Fifth Columnists in V, characters such as Martin and Willy who resisted their leaders' policies and worked to defend the humans. Heck, it was V that introduced me to the term "Fifth Column" in the first place.

And I'd be happy if the remake ditched the whole "We need your water" thing, though I don't think they are. It's very, very scientifically ignorant. There are thousands and thousands of times more water (in the form of ice) to be found in the moons and comets of the outer Solar System than you'd ever find on Earth, and it's much easier to obtain because you don't have to fight the gravity of the Earth and the Sun to get it out of the system. Heck, you could find huge amounts of water ice around practically any star in the galaxy. So there's just no reason why an inhabited planet would be the only place the Visitors could go to find water. If anything, that's the last place they should look for water, because the water on an inhabited planet is going to be far from sterile.
Written Worlds -- Christopher L. Bennett's blog and webpage
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote