View Single Post
Old July 15 2009, 01:14 PM   #64
Saquist
Commodore

Re: Vertical Intermix Chamber and TMP Enterprise

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Timo wrote: View Post
If a system called "impulse" doesn't have anything to do with what an impulse is... that's just wrong.
Just to be contrary, I'd argue that the expression "impulse engine" could easily originate from a trade name, just like "diesel engine" does. There'd only need to be a very vaguely similar engineering principle behind the modern impulse (diesel) engine and the original creation of the Impulse Corporation (Rudolf Diesel).

Whether the same holds true for "warp engine" is an interesting question, too. These are very complex machines with undoubtedly complex operating principles: it might be impossible to express the principle properly in the name, so deliberately improper choices are made instead. Engineers usually do make every effort to be funny... Or cool. Or both. (Usually, they think the two mean the same thing.)

Timo Saloniemi
I like the novel Enterprise's (sorry forgot the author) explaination of impulse: I. M. Pulse or internally metered pulse drive. A pellet of fuel is hit with high energy laser beams in pulses and the energy is then crushed back upon itself and it creates waves of spacial distortion that the ship rides like a surfboard.

That's what I said. THUS the use of the driver coils.

The only thing that contradicts what newtype_alpha is saying is that we know Bajoran impulse ships don't have warp speed and that warp fields are synonmous with subspace mass reducing fields.

Ultimately if there is another form of mass reducing field that still makes impulse at least partially driven but field propulsion.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote