View Single Post
Old July 15 2009, 03:06 AM   #62
Saquist
Commodore

Re: Vertical Intermix Chamber and TMP Enterprise

[QUOTE=newtype_alpha;3189600]
Airplanes can reverse engines too. Application of forcefields over the engine nozzle would suffice for the same effect.
Then there would be no need for the driver coils.

The RCS is plenty powerful enough, considering what it has to do. Remember, impulse engines are capable of accelerating the ship to close to the speed of light; an RCS thruster with the output of a Saturn-V engine would more than suffice for this maneuver.
No doubt.

The IDF only negates the force of acceleration on objects in or attached to the hull; basically, it imposes uniform acceleration on all objects affected by the thrusters. Turning the IDF off would make no difference to the maneuver, but it would really irritate the crew.
While IDF is mainly a function for the crew it would still have an effect on the ship motion or tendency to remain in motion.

So, MY conclusion is that impulse engines are a kind of plasma-dynamic thruster/rocket system--as they have been implied to be since The Cage--boosted with a mass-reducing system either generated by the warp nacelles or the impulse engines themselves. Nothing we have seen is inconsistent with this, but the notion of impulse engines being a FIELD DRIVE contradicts the events of "Booby Trap," not to mention it EXPLICITLY flies in the face of dialog fro STXI, where Sulu says "Give me a five second burst at one quarter impulse, I'll do the rest with thrusters."
I'll have to review the Cage...but I don't consider it canon.
The problem with this...is that the impulse engines would work without the warp drive components that reduce mass.

According to the entire concept of warp (which is pretty simple) the mere act of creating a field would cancel out the ships mass verse the rest of the universe so there is no device that reduces mass.

In fact according Geordi La Forge in the case of the falling moon, a warp field or subspace field itself reduces mass and that field is creatd by the warp coils. That eliminates any special device.

I'm also not following you on dialogue from Booby Trap or Star Trek XI *which I can't even include in the discussion. * At least we know that in Booby Trap the enterprise was powered down so they can coast with out the IDF would dampen. Perhaps I'm just not understanding your direction.
Saquist is offline   Reply With Quote