View Single Post
Old July 11 2009, 12:41 AM   #149
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

I have a couple of thoughts on this-

1) The comments didn't particularly bother me, or I would have notified a mod. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't any mod intervention earlier in the thread, which makes me wonder whether the mods were being notified, and if so, what was being done? Clearly whatever it was wasn't effective in this case. My view is if you don't notify the mods, you shouldn't complain about the content. Regardless of whether you notify the mods of course, fighting fire with fire is completely unhelpful.

2) If there's going to be a zero-tolerance policy on sexism, particularly one where the goal is to alleviate discomfort, than I would humbly submit that there should also be a zero-tolerance policy on homophobic remarks and remarks which imply that some people are better than others simply because of their belief structure, and I invite others who have been made similarly uncomfortable to bring up their own ideas for zero-tolerance policies. In short - slippery slope.