View Single Post
Old July 10 2009, 04:31 PM   #111
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: Misc - Several issues - Misc Posters Read!

This is how I see the problem, and this goes for any message board with a larger male percentage than female one (the other two boards I frequented were the same way).

Any group that is a minority (be it women or people who hate TOS or something) is going to feel threatened in some way as it is so simple for the majority to gang up on them. Therefore they will take what amy be an unintended slight as something worse. This is understandable, I'm often the same way in such situations.

So how should this be addressed? Should the minority be protected more and point out anything that might be against them or should they instead be on the lookout for outright hostility? I'd say the latter but it appears that many think it's the former.

Let's first take a look at outright hostility. Honestly, I've not seen any sexism from men to women in Misc. I haven't seen anyone say, "You're a woman and we don't want your opinion." In a male environment here women are actually treated like goddesses half the time, especially when they post a picture or make any sort of sexual reference. All of a sudden a number of male posters are telling them how awesome they are and how they want to be their best friend.

So outright hostility? I just don't see it.

Now, let's take a look at subtle sexism. Does it exist? Absolutely. We have a number of male posters post sexist comments about women and female posters make sexist comments about men and posters of both genders make homophobic comments about homosexuals. Thus the question is, where do we draw the line?

I think we already have. The remark about creepy comments in the picture thread (although, if you're worried about comments like that I wouldn't post your picture anywhere on the internet) was interesting to me because IIRC a mod did knock those comments down. The Palin thread, which seems to be the crux of this thread due to the quotes, was shut down. At the time I'm guessing that there weren't any mods around and that that is why things went on for so long.

Now here's my take on the reaction. I think it was an overreaction. I think some people were bothered by it and that's fine but I think others are using it as a soapbox (and it's pretty obvious who) which helps no one.

What we need to do is to step back and discuss the future and how we should deal with it instead of harping on the past where we can throw around accusations about men being sexist and women being sexist.