View Single Post
Old July 8 2009, 01:01 AM   #191
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

BillJ wrote: View Post
2) You continue to ignore the question of what makes a TPB worth the excessive price. Whether a movie is ninety minutes or two and a half hours I'm paying the same $9.75 to get in. MMPB are between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for X price. TPB are slightly larger in size, between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for nearly twice the price.

3) It is bad when a corporation exploits its customers. This is exactly the same thing as when Paramount was charging $140 a season for Star Trek.

4) You're right. I don't have to buy it. But Pocket should be worried when they chase someone like me away with excessive pricing (good income, like to buy whatever has the label on it).
I've eliminated all the snarky bullshit from your post, assuming that you're generally an intelligent person and were just annoyed. If you really want to call me names and insult my intelligence, please do so over PM.

2) The question of whether or not it's worth it is entirely up to you. I would never argue otherwise. You just gave completely spurious reasons. I never told you to buy it, just that word count was a dumb way to justify not buying it. Do whatever you please.

3) And when Paramount charged that much, I didn't buy them. And the prices eventually dropped. That's how the market works.

4) Pocket should be worried about "chasing away" one customer? You are far too convinced of your own importance.

Pocket prices things however they feel it'll make them the most money. So does everyone else. If a company succeeds in "gouging" customers, it's because the customers are willing to be gouged. If you find the crusade against TPBs to be a righteous one, just don't fucking buy them.

Anyone with any decision making power in any institution like this one has long since learned to ignore people whining online.
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote