View Single Post
Old July 7 2009, 07:47 PM   #177
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

ATimson wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
You continue to ignore the question of what makes a TPB worth the excessive price. Whether a movie is ninety minutes or two and a half hours I'm paying the same $9.75 to get in. MMPB are between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for X price. TPB are slightly larger in size, between 70,000 and 125,000 words and are softcover for nearly twice the price.
Still softcover, but with better quality paper (acid-free, so no yellowing), better binding, and (in my experience) a better chance at showing up at the bookstore undamaged (unlike all eighteen local copies of Losing the Peace I've seen).
I don't know. I was disappointed in the quality of Pocket's Night of the Dragon. The paper quality was low, and the cover felt exceedingly cheap. I would hope that that was an outlier, and that if Pocket did go with trades for future Trek books, they would be more like Treason or the Mirror/Myriad anthos (which are all sturdy and well-made) than like Night of the Dragon.

EDIT: Night of the Dragon, by the way, is a World of WarCraft novel. Just wanted to clarify.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote