Old July 7 2009, 07:46 PM   #176
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Sci wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Sci wrote: View Post

No, they're saying that they think the demand curve intersects with the supply curve at the point that creates an equilibrium price of $8.99 for MMPBs and $16.00 for TPBs.

ETA:

Also, get the fuck over it.

The demand currently exists for TPBs, even if you don't enjoy them. If enough customers begin to agree with you, the demand curve for TPBs will become sufficiently low as to render it no longer profitable to make them, and Pocket will revert back to publishing novels as MMPBs. Welcome to capitalism, where the market does not always meet the will of the individual customer. If it bothers you that much, just borrow the TPBs from a library.
Wow! Such venom because I chose 'The Time Ships' over a Trek book (which is where this all started).
"Lol look guys someone made a big deal over something I made a big deal out of lulz1111"

I get irritated over someone whining about the price of a book they don't need. We're not talking about health care or some essential service, or even the price of a textbook you need for college. We're talking about the price of a Star Trek book.

If you can't afford a $16 book, or think it's too high of a price, then buy it used or borrow it from a library. Don't spend your time whining about the fact that the market is serving a demand curve for a minor luxury that you're not a part of, and don't run around putting words in the publisher's mouth ("So Pocket is telling me their $8.99 stuff is shit work they think won't sell?").

A market exists for a product you're not willing to buy. If you really want to understand why that product is priced as it is, take a microeconomics course. Otherwise, don't whine about it.
This is a discussion board? Am I right on that? A place where we discuss Trek books? I would think the price of Trek books would fit right in on a discussion board that discusses Trek books. Am I somehow wrong?

I left it at "I didn't buy it", until another poster decided to bust my chops over it.

Speaking of economics, look up "diminishing returns" and then maybe you'll understand what my beef actually is.