View Single Post
Old July 6 2009, 10:50 PM   #146
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Thrawn wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
This all makes sense. But what changes when you're dealing with a very niche product like Star Trek? How many readers can Pocket afford to bleed by making this move before things become unprofitable?

My wife asked me if I wanted New Frontier: Treason last night while we were at the bookstore. My simple answer was, "not at that price" and picked up "The Time Ships" by Stephen Baxter.
In all fairness, if you buy from amazon.com, the trades are only $3 more than the MMPBs. A lot of non-Trek MMPBs are as high as $10 anyway, and the trades are only $10.88. $2.88 doesn't mean a lot to me, and .88 means even less.

But if that's a dealbreaker for you, whatever.

It's also, as far as I know, an open question whether or not the trade novels will be republished as MMPBs.
Not everyone shops at Amazon! I actually like to inspect my merchandise before purchasing it. Guess that makes me old school. And yes $2.88 is a deal breaker if it is presenting the same amount of material.