View Single Post
Old July 6 2009, 02:16 PM   #121
JWolf
Commodore

Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The thing about TPBs is that bookstores prefer them to mass markets because of the higher price point. It's what they're stocking now. Mass markets are being crowded out on the shelves.

I've been expecting Pocket to transition Star Trek fiction to the trade format for about five years now. The novel anthologies like Mirror Universe and Myriad Universes dipped the toe in the water. Now New Frontier and Enterprise are in trade. I've wondered if Refugees, Alan Dean Foster's new book, might be in trade as well.

If bookstores respond positively to trade format Star Trek fiction, and if audiences support it by buying it, it's not inconceivable that we could see the mass market format phased out in the next few years.
If Trek goes Trade, I hope nobody buys them. I hope they tank. I think TPB are an abomination and should go away forever. All they are is a gimmick to get a higher price for the same book. They take too much shelf space and they feel unnatural to hold. Whoever came up with that really lousy idea should be hung, drawn, and quartered.