View Single Post
Old July 6 2009, 12:51 AM   #110
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile
Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The thing about TPBs is that bookstores prefer them to mass markets because of the higher price point. It's what they're stocking now. Mass markets are being crowded out on the shelves.

I've been expecting Pocket to transition Star Trek fiction to the trade format for about five years now. The novel anthologies like Mirror Universe and Myriad Universes dipped the toe in the water. Now New Frontier and Enterprise are in trade. I've wondered if Refugees, Alan Dean Foster's new book, might be in trade as well.

If bookstores respond positively to trade format Star Trek fiction, and if audiences support it by buying it, it's not inconceivable that we could see the mass market format phased out in the next few years.
I don't see it happening. Mass market is still far and away more popular than trade or hardcover, despite what the book retailers like. A book at $6-8 is an impulse buy; at $16, it's an investment, and one most people who only want something to occupy themselves on the train or at the beach aren't going to find worthwhile.

What will be really interesting to see is how David Mack's The Sorrows of Empire: Bigger, Longer and Uncut mm will sell compared to the Glass Empires trade. (Not that any of us other than Dave and his agent will ever see those numbers, but...)
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote