View Single Post
Old July 5 2009, 10:43 PM   #578
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Destiny Book 3: Lost Souls - (SPOILERS)

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
Star Trek IS a much darker place after "Destiny".
Sure, a gazillion borg were liberated, but we'll most likely never hear from them again. What we'll read about is the situation in the Alpha/Beta - after 64 BILLIONS died. Can you even understand the immensity of the loss? I can't.

Erica Hernandez didn't call herself superior? The Caeliar saved half the galaxy? But of couse. They are, after all, benevolent gods. Perfect. Not encumbered by "human imperfection and human limitation"..
I thought the Caeliar's story arc was realizing they have stagnated and withdrawn from life when they should be bettering themselves and others? They are not perfect (apart from in Sedin's twisted mind). It is humanity which restores the Caeliar, or more specifically, Hernandez. I for one share an immense dislike of "Human inferiority/limitation" philosophies, but these books didn't offer one (no Trek does, in my view) and there's nothing wrong with asking others for help when you need it. The Federation couldn't win the war. It required help, the Caeliar offered it. This does not shame humanity, surely?

Sci wrote: View Post
Picard, Riker and the rest of the federation "pretended" to try to stop the borg.
To be more exact, they were content to trade transphasic torpedos with the borg, knowing that the collective will adapt. And when the borg finally adapted, thay just grabed their heades and screamed in desperation - as dignified as possible, of course.
Yes, that's right, people who tried everything they could think of to save lives and then died for it just "weren't even trying."
Quoting...mysely - read it this time:
"Where was the creativity that permeated almost every Star Trek episode? Well, I guess Data was responsible for it. So much for the myth about machines having no creativity."

Aren't we awfully eager to use the racism card?
For your information, the expression "amish-like morality" has nothing demeaning about it. It describes a morality that refuses any taking of lives, regardless of the circumstances..
But why equate such a morality to Geordi? Geordi is not a complete pacifist. His objection to the creation of thalaron weapons was not due to an unwillingness to fight Borg. It is also moral whatever our- or anyone's- moral preferences, as he was motivated by his own personal sense of ethics.

Sci wrote: View Post
-The borg will just bring more reinforcements from the other side of the galaxy - No they won't; they can't - not for the next 70-100 years or so - the subspace tunnels were destroyed, remember?
And then in 70 to 100 years, you're facing the destruction of the Federation again when the Collective's even larger armada reaches local space, and this time the Borg will have adapted to the thalaron weapon.

What's the use in betraying your ethics if doing so doesn't even achieve its objective? There's no point in making an "ends justify the means" argument if the means don't actually achieve the ends.
Quoting myself...again. Read my entire post!
"-The borg will just bring more reinforcements from the other side of the galaxy - No they won't; they can't - not for the next 70-100 years or so - the subspace tunnels were destroyed, remember? 100 years is a long time in which to prepare, to evacuate beyond the Milky Way, if necessary. If the borg failed to destroy humanity in "destiny", they failed to destroy humanity (and the other species in Alpha/Bata). Period. They won't get a second chance."
Seven insisted there was no escape- the Borg would hunt them down wherever they went. Into intergalactioc space isn't an option, anyway. No supplies...