View Single Post
Old July 5 2009, 05:30 PM   #203
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TNG episode director cuts

AuntKate brought up something on another thread about a memorable episode
AuntKate wrote: View Post
the TNG episode "Genesis" scared my boys to death (they were about 10 and 7). Scared me, too!

Memory Alpha mentions:
* This episode won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Sound Mixing for a Drama Series; it was also nominated for Outstanding Individual Achievement in Sound Editing for a Series and Outstanding Individual Achievement in Makeup for a Series.
This is the only episode of the series directed by Gates McFadden (Beverly Crusher), and the first episode of Star Trek directed by a female cast member.
even though:
production work was hindered by the California earthquake of 1994, and McFadden did not have sufficient time to produce her own "cut" of the episode as a result).
I wonder what a 'director's cut' would look like?
Perhaps if TNG does eventually get a TNG-R a few episodes will get revisited and get a 'director's cut' if Paramount/CBS and Gates McFadden were interested in doing it. That itself would raise the price for remastering those episodes as:
1. they may increase running time of the episode
2. music cues would no longer be the same
3. would need additional sound FX
4. would need to have a complete remix on the sound for all scenes changed and music, FX added.
5. they would need to retelecine more of the original camera negative for the director to be able to look at (even if just in standard definition) to do a new edit, and then the selects would have to be retelecined at high definition to conform to the new edit.

Perhaps if a fan-collective of 8 episodes were done as a test in HD for Blu-ray it could be director's cuts of a few? Would that be enough to get people to buy them in HD?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote