View Single Post
Old July 2 2009, 02:22 PM   #57
Christopher
Writer

Re: 2009 Fall Book Preview With Covers

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post
On the topic of the covers, I've got to say, they do feel fairly... underwhelming. I can understand the reasoning, but I'm going to have to agree to disagree here - specifically, I disagree with the idea that there is some kind of embarrassment with reading a Star Trek novel - a novel based on a TV show that is still watched and loved by fans both long-term and recent after forty plus years? I've proudly read my novels in plain sight from age nine, and have never once been mocked for it.
There's a misinterpretation here about the thinking behind Pocket's cover philosophy. The idea of having covers that you wouldn't be embarrassed to read on the subway has nothing to do with whether they're Star Trek or not, just with whether they're good cover designs or not. The goal isn't to hide their identity as Trek novels, simply to reject the old, cheesy cover designs of the past. It's not about being ashamed of ST, it's about wanting to make ST look as classy as it deserves to look.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote