View Single Post
Old June 29 2009, 03:29 PM   #32
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Shipper war: Spock/Uhura or Spock/Chapel?

No problem Jeri.
Here's a little something more...

Saldana described the moment she learned about it:
They locked us in the office at Bad Robot, so that we could read the script, and I dropped it and grabbed my Blackberry and kept saying, "This man's crazy! J.J.'s out of his mind. I'm not that aware about Star Trek, but I do know that [Spock and Uhura] never mingled. It's crazy!" But once I finished the script, it just made so much sense. They have the most similar characteristics. I almost feel like she had this admiration for Spock because he was older and sort of like a teacher, and there was this crush or platonic infatuation with someone that's wiser, wittier, handsome and had pointy ears. Why not?
Quinto went on to explain what he felt it meant to baby Spock to have this outlet.
The relationship between Spock and Uhura, that dynamic provides a lot of levity and humor between Kirk and Spock and between Kirk and Uhura. But between Spock and Uhura, I think it actually represents a depth, whereby Uhura is almost a canvas onto whom Spock can project the emotion that he is not able to express himself.
But of course Leonard Nimoy felt left out by Young Spock's conquest:
Frankly, I was extremely jealous of his scenes with Zoe Saldana, and I think it's totally unfair that I never got to do that. I will never forgive the writers and the director, for having put me in this position, to have to be watching that, rather than participating.
http://io9.com/5231407/the-romance-t...r-trek-forever