View Single Post
Old June 29 2009, 03:16 PM   #30
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile
Re: Shipper war: Spock/Uhura or Spock/Chapel?

Here's a little something from Orci & Kurtzman on the Spock-Uhura-Chapel thing...

Kurtzman: The Uhura-Spock relationship actually evolved a little differently because we'd originally done a Spock-Nurse Chapel storyline, and the gag was that Nurse Chapel was totally in love with Spock and he wasn't giving her the time of day. I think what happened was when we came to the context of what he loses at the midpoint of the movie, we felt like he genuinely needed to be comforted by somebody in a way that I think the audience wished he would be. And, keeping in line with the idea that you are in a parallel universe, and yet we want to make homage to -

Orci: The first interracial kiss between Kirk and Uhura. So it was an interspecies kiss.

Kurtzman: Some things could be similar, and some things could be different, so it just felt like a really, no pun intended, logical mirror to Kirk and Uhura.

Orci:
That was scary. We were like, oh my God, are fans going to kill us?

Kurtzman:
For sure. We talked about it a lot, and J.J. was the one who said, "you've got to do it," and he kind of gave us the confidence to know that we could take the leap.
http://www.cinematical.com/2009/05/0...-roberto-orci/