View Single Post
Old June 28 2009, 08:19 AM   #14
Trek or Treat!
Rear Admiral

Re: Thoughts on the Romulan Empire

Should we merge this thread with “life in the empires”?

Anwar wrote: View Post
I had my own thoughts on a reconceptualization of the Romulans for TOS+:

Romulus is a good free world where the civilians live good productive lives and they just happen to be antagonists to the Federation WITHOUT being so obviously bad. I mean as it stands they never really delved deep enough into the Romulan culture anyways and they used the Military Dictatorship stuff for the Cardassians (to their benefit). Why not have the Romulans turn out NOT to also be a Military-Ruled Empire but a pleasant place that just happens to oppose the Feds?

The Romulans can be a democracy that respects its' people without having the exact same values as the Feds, perhaps they see it as okay to go around settling on worlds with native populations and interfering with their development as long as they get a new world. Maybe they just feel they have a manifest destiny (which is pretty much canon...) and the Feds are an obstacle.

And the Tal Shiar would be respected and seen as a necessary and noble force by the Romulan public for protecting them from external threats who would subvert Romulus and from fellow Romulans who want to undermine and subvert all that they have built from within. A nice contrast from the Obsidian Order (who are feared and hated by nearly all Cardassians).
Interesting ideas. How about this, drawing from our own history:

The experience with Nero brings the Romulan Empire and the UFP into contact many years before the events of Balance of Terror. They try to form a framework for peaceful coexistence, but because of extreme differences in their respective cultures they have to make some very uncomfortable compromises, just as the North and South did in crafting the U.S. Constitution. Neither side is satisfied with the compromises, leading to tremendous tensions and ultimately war, but it doesn’t take 74 years like it did in the U.S. Or perhaps it’s heroic actions by the crew of the Enterprise and a Romulan counterpart that prevents (or postpones) war.
Trek or Treat! is offline   Reply With Quote