View Single Post
Old June 28 2009, 12:01 AM   #7
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: Thoughts on the Romulan Empire

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
I think the average Romulan has more freedom than the average Cardassian ever did (during their military government period anyway).
I think they have a considerable amount of freedom and it's possible that their "Senate" represents a truly representative democracy. The fact that they are aggressive and xenophobic towards outsiders doesn't indicate anything about their internal politics..
I think their democracy is oligarchic and dominated by issues of wealth or family influence, but it's real. Senators who do not serve well can be removed by the people, shamed for their inability to provide honourable or competent leadership. Of course, the Tal Shiar dampens free speech, but as we've seen on TNG, Romulans themselves speak out against the Tal Shiar and its paranoia.

The thing I'm curious about: if Vulcanoids have dysfunctionally strong emotions which threatens their social stability; and Vulcans have coped with this by making a fetish of emotional repression; and Romulans are Vulcans who have rejected this solution; then how do Romulans cope? Is the xenophobia their coping mechanism?.
Their secretive, controlled, and careful approach to things and rather rigid customs of social conduct act much like Vulcan suppression of emotion, I think. Of course, open displays of passion are also a big part of their culture. Most Romulans we see on TV are interacting with aliens, so possibly they are simply trying to prevent aliens "reading" them when they act all stoic. Also, Romulus is a lush and fertile world. Maybe when resources are plentiful, Vulcanoid violence and passion instincts become less pronounced than they are when in the desert habitat of Vulcan.

Also, why precisely did Romulans reject Surak's solution? Has that ever been explained? Is it simply that it represented a rejection of the true nature of Vulcanoids? If so, I think there's a good argument for the Romulans being right, at least in an abstract philosophical sense, but not so much in a pragmatic sense..
The TV series never explained. The books have tried: read the "Vulcan's Soul" trilogy.

Vulcans have been far more successful in dealing with other species precisely because they reject their true natures. Everyone gets on the Vulcans' case for being prickly jerks, but they've actually made a considerable sacrifice simply for the benefit of interstellar relations.
Actually, they adopted Surak's teachings prior to interacting with other races. Their motivation was preventing their warfare from destroying Vulcan.