View Single Post
Old June 25 2009, 09:38 AM   #160
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Star Trek TNG Remastered?

Gary Sebben wrote: View Post
Bertie wrote: View Post
Frankly, I've long been sick of analog nostalgia. You know, "models are better than CGI", "vinyl LPs are better than digital", all of it. Maybe these things were true once upon a time. I don't care they aren't true now.

And if you don't agree, well, its not like your existing 480-interlaced disks are going anywhere. For the rest (as the Modernists liked to say) "Make it New".
I think this is a bad analogy. A CD is not trying to synthesis sound from scratch that sounds like real sound. A model has weight. The light hits it just right. Its a real object. A CG model is and it render engine is trying to simulate that real thing. Yes, the CG is more flexible, but it is also a less than accurate representation of the model.

But the whole point of CG is being able to do things which are impossible with a model, or would take so much time and money with one that they are unpractical.

While I LOVE Physical models, and am not opposed their use in any way shape or form, they are overall harder to do than CGI and more time consuming. I can knock together a good enough spaceship mesh in a day or two and be animating it by the weekend. I highly doubt a model animator could say the same thing and achieve the same results.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote