View Single Post
Old June 22 2009, 01:12 PM   #130
noknowes
Lieutenant Commander

Re: DS9 should get Remastered

GodBen wrote: View Post
noknowes wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post
Upscaling, in other words. They could do that as-is - hell, if you watch a DVD on any recent LCD or plasma screen, interpolation is necessary to display anything except a small, windowboxed, picture - but it would be of an inherently lower quality than rescanning the film. And not by a small amount.
UPSCALING.

would fix it.the software would INTERPOLATE AND EXTRAPOLATE from existing footage....which would be frozen as a digital image.

upscaling software WOULD REPRODUCE HD quality without master tapes at all.
I'm no genius, I just pretend to be one in the Voyager forum, but you seem to be missing the point. Software cannot interpolate and extrapolate data that is not there.

Lets say for the sake of argument that Avery Brooks has a faint wrinkle on his forehead, it's too faint to show up on the video image but it does show up on the original film negatives. Since the data for those pixels is not on the video image the upscaling software does not know that it is there and it will not create it. If they don't rescan the original film they cannot get all the detail; they cannot recreate the wrinkles on an actor's face, they cannot show the writing on background computer displays, they cannot show the finer details on the spaceship models... so much would be lost out.

Upscaling the image will make it look better than the original image but it will not be able to produce the same level of detail that a full remastering of the footage would achieve.
The background display details don/t exist ans is mostly gibberish to make it look good.it is mostly dos code in color.

You misunderstand.Why would I want to see wrinkles on Sisko's head?

it would add nothing to my enjoyment.

WE DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF UNSAVOURY DETAIL

NEXT YOU WILL WANT TO SEE HIS NOSE HAIRS.

or stubble on Kira's legs.

ugh.ugh.ugh.
noknowes is offline   Reply With Quote