View Single Post
Old June 22 2009, 01:58 AM   #1892
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Latent Image (****)

This episode first aired when I was 13, this is a verbatim record of the conversation I had with a friend the next day:
Friend: Hey GodBen, did you see Voyager last night.
Me: Why did you call me GodBen? My name is Steve.
Friend: I'm just trying to make this conversation easier to understand for the people who are going to read about it a decade from now.
Me: Why would people be reading about this conversation ten years in the future?
Friend: Because the internet means that the opinion of any random idiot who can put together a sentence will matter, and it helps if that idiot tries to hide his intellectual shortcomings behind excessive humour.
Me: Duly noted.
Friend: Can we get back on topic?
Me: Yeah, I saw Voyager. It was a pretty good episode, I'm just confused about what happened at the end.
Friend: Well what I think happened is that Doctor Shmully read the poem and it fixed him so that everything will be back to normal next week.
Me: I doubt that's what happened, it seems far too simplistic. I think you're underestimating the show a little bit, I'm sure that there will be some consequences from this that will be addressed next week.
So for those of you who wonder why I'm so cynical it's because I tried being an optimist and it didn't work out so good.

The episode itself is actually very good, it's not just a great character episode for Shmully it also addresses some big issues about Shmully and his rights. I really enjoyed watching this episode for the most part, it was better than I remembered it and this time I didn't have a problem with how everybody is suddenly treating Shmully as not quite a person, I realise that they're using that as a justification for removing his memories 18 months before.

But as with season 3's The Swarm I'm annoyed by the ending. This is clearly an episodic show no matter how much I wish it was otherwise and you can't just end an episode like this with no resolution. If they followed up on this it would be great, but as far as I remember they wont.

SHMULLY: I made [my camera] part of the annual check-up. It's quite handy really, by attuning the resonance spectrum along the subspace band I can take an image of my patients all the way down to the subatomic level.
NAOMI: Subatomic level? I thought you said this wasn't going to hurt.
SHMULLY: I did, and it won't. There. See? Nothing to it.
Shmully has a camera that can "see" through clothing and he's using it to take a picture of a little girl? Somebody alert Tuvok!

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - The immortal Terry Pratchett

Last edited by TheGodBen; June 22 2009 at 02:44 AM. Reason: to add an extra joke
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote