View Single Post
Old June 21 2009, 02:01 AM   #112
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Captain America... Spoilers

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Well by 2011 the masses outside our borders wouldn't care at all cause Obama will still be in office.
No, not really. The sort of muscular patriotism that Captain America is associated with is nowadays associated more or less exclusively with conservatism (whereas it was not in the more jingoistic period of his birth; you can see remnants of that earlier liberal tradition remaining in the works of writers like Aaron Sorkin). Certainly, Obama's election will make things easier for a Captain America movie abroad than they would have been under W., but it will never be separated from its jingoistic origin.

As to politics, he's always been depicted as a Roosevelt Democrat in the 1930s; they've strenuously avoided associating him with political parties since then (not wanting to diminish his attempted universal appeal), though based on the leanings he's shown in his private life he'd be a strong social liberal (pro-civil rights for blacks in the 1960s, pro-gay in the 1980s) and a Wilsonian internationalist.

Incidentally, one of my favourite posts on superhero political stances.

- Homer Simpson

Last edited by CaptainCanada; June 21 2009 at 02:18 AM.
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote