View Single Post
Old June 20 2009, 03:18 AM   #113
SoM
Commander

Re: DS9 should get Remastered

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Why should they spend the money on that when they can do 4-6 episodes of TNG [the most popular of the 3 Trek series edited and mastered on standard definition video] on Blu-ray first to see if Paramount/CBS Home video 'gets a nibble on their fishing pole'.
IF they ever tried doing it "properly" (i.e., rescanning the film negs and doing the post-production over again), I suspect that they would test the water by releasing The Best of Both Worlds as a "movie". Given that it's only two eps, that it's one of the most popular stories of TNG, that it's a direct "prequel" to ST: First Contact, and that it's got a fair number of FX-shots to show off with, it's probably as close to optimal conditions for a test as they'd get.

Harvey wrote: View Post
As far as I know, most of the CGI models used on Star Trek have been saved. These models may have to be upgraded to pass inspection in 1080p, but the extra step of re-creating them from scratch will not be required.
Did they keep them as a whole, or is it just that some people who worked on them saved copies?

Plus, given software upgrades and file imports... stuff breaks. Compare the Steamrunner in the top pic here (an old rendering, "how it should be") to the lower pics where some stuff has gone noticeably wrong in the new renderings for the blog post: http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/...mrunner-class/

Harvey wrote: View Post
I am curious about those tests Paramount was running on upgrading Star Trek: The Next Generation's effects, though. Anyone have a link on that?
I don't have time to look it up right now, but it's in TrekMovie's archives of late 2007, and basically says nothing more than "they're doing a test". It didn't say what they did, but there were certainly suspicions they were trying an upscale to see if they could get away with it.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote